What if your pet gets sick or yet worse, injured?
This can lead to very stressful times for not only the owner, but your furry friend and family member.
Your pet, just like people, can face medical issues such as from an accident, nutritional issues, disease, or even an inherited condition. As many breeds will face.
There is no way to predict when trouble for your pet may occur leaving you with unexpected and sometimes large expenses.
Just like you, your furry friend, extended member of your family wants to lead a healthy and active life.
Can this thing called “Pet Insurance” be the solution?
Let us compare pet insurance plans here.
What does pet insurance plans cover?
Today you can buy health insurance for your pet, just like you can for yourself.
But unlike insurance for people, pet insurance reimburses you after you’ve paid in full in most plans.
Reimbursements usually cover up to 90% of the vet bill and turnaround time for payment can be as little as 2-5 days, but you have to do the paper work.
You really need to look and compare pet insurance plans as they are not all alike.
The best way to approach your search for your pet insurance plans is to ask the following questions:
- are heredity and congenital covered?
- are prescription drugs covered?
- are accidents and sudden illnesses covered?
- how much is the annual deductible?
- what percentage are the reimbursements?
- what are the claim limits per year?
- are burial or cremation covered?
- are there copay?
- are vaccinations covered?
- are kennels covered?
- is spaying or neutering covered?
- is dental care extra?
- is there a waiting period before coverage kicks in?
- does coverage increase in cost or cease in old age?
Most pet insurance plans cover accidents and illnesses. Most of these coverages will cover:
- knowing hereditary conditions
- alternative therapies
- behavioral issues
- prescription foods
- dental disease
You can also add preventive care at a low additional monthly cost to get cash back on things like check-ups and flea/heart worm prevention.
There are a lot of advanced diagnostic tests and treatment options available to you from your vet today to help our pets.
That’s great news, but the bad news is it comes at a cost, some very high for the average pet owner.
The average pet owners in the US in 2017 spent about $17 billion on veterinary care; to bring this into perspective.
And these cost continue to rise.
Are all pet insurance companies the same?
As in any insurance business, there are plans that are very good and there are plans that are not so good.
I would encourage everyone to research based on cost, consumer reviews, and what is in the coverage for the costs.
Your cost will vary from plan to plan and be based on the level of coverage you select. Your choice of level of coverage can be related to the breed of pet that you have.
Not all pet insurance companies are created equal, so compare pet insurance plans carefully.
Where can you find the best coverage for your pet?
Consumer Advocate listed these top 5 pet insurance plans as their best from their research for 2018:
- Heathlypaws Pet Insurance Plan
- Petplan Pet Insurance Plan
- Comprehensive Coverage (includes vet exam fee!)
- Flexible annual reimbursement up to Unlimited
- Choose Annual Deductible from $100-$1,000
- 24/7 Customer Service – top rated, always available
- Use any veterinarian in the US or Canada
- Fast, paperless claim reimbursement via Petplan App
- 10% Online Discount
- Embrace Pet Insurance Plan
- Strong Illness & Accident Coverage – Use Any Vet
- Optional wellness plan & Rx coverage covers spay/neuter
- Benefits limited to $15k/yr
- Customizable Annual Deductible from $200-$1000
- Nationwide Pet Insurance Plan
- First and largest pet insurer in the US
- Whole Pet & Wellness Plan covers spay/neuter
- 24/7 vet helpline access
- Discounts available on home and auto
- Insurers most birds and exotic pets!
- $250 annual deductible with Unlimited Claims
- Covers congenital and hereditary conditions
- Figo Pet Insurance Plan
- Extremely comprehensive coverage
- Waives copay and deductible for lifesaving care
- Up to 100% reimbursement
- Includes exam fees
- Innovative cloud-based platform to manage your pet’s lifestyle
- Visit any licensed emergency hospital, veterinary practice, or specialist
- Plans averaging less than $1.50 per day
They were ranked based on:
- Accidents & Illnesses
- Hereditary, Congenital, & Chronic Conditions
- Diagnostic Tests
- Emergency Care
- Specialist Care
- Prescription Medication
- The best pet insurance plans should cover accidents and illnesses which should include broken bones, swallowed objects, cancer, diabetes, ear infections and numerous other conditions.
- The best pet insurance plans should cover accidents including broken bones and swallowed objects.
- Wellness pet insurance plans should cover routine procedures such as annual exams, vaccines, flea and heart worm prevention.
Insurance can proved a peace of mind for the owner
The typical pet owner can rest assured that if anything happens to their loved ones that the issue will be covered and the stress of the situation will be less.
But just as is with anything insured, there is a commitment of monthly cost that will vary by plan that will provide this peace of mind.
With a growing range of pet insurance plans and policies on the market, you can be sure to find the best pet insurance plan to suit your needs and budget.
As well as accident and illness can be covered.
Once you have narrowed down your choices and get comfortable with what you are buying its time to get your quotes and compare prices just like you would when buying insurance.
Depending on your pet’s breed and age the prices will vary widely so its important to compare prices from several providers.
Each and every provider price breeds differently based on their underwriting of the insurance plan.
Your Pet is worth it!
I’m sure a lot of you are like me and in the past have had to make some very difficult decisions when it has come to your pet’s health.
I personally have had that decision to make and it can be heart wrenching.
Today with the ability to provide for your pet with pet insurance can give you as the owner peace of mind and knowing your pet will live a playful and active life.
Compare Pet Insurance Plans Today!
From everything I have read I would recommend the #1 ranked company in the US today, Healthy Paws.
==> Get your Pet covered and live with a peace of mind that you are doing everything possible to give your pet a happy and long life!